> Monuments> Monuments of Warangal

Monuments of Warangal

S.No Name of the Monument Village Mandal Period
1 Shambhunigudi Fort Warangal Khila Warangal 13th CE

Shambhunigudi

Shambhuni Gudi is situated near southern Kirti Torana of ruined Swayarnbhu Siva temple complex in Fort Warangal. The temple consists of garbhagriha, antarala and ranga mandapa. The square shaped ranga mandapa has porticos on its three sides, while the main entrance faces east.

There is an inscription recorded on Dharmashala wall of Shambhunigudi, which mentions the installation of the deities of Veyilingala Devara and Ganadhipathi by a person called Chaviki Buddayya for the merit of the world. On architectural grounds, this temple can be dated back to 13th Century AD.

2 Stone Circles Alipur Hanmakonda 10th-9th C.B.C
3 Cairns Hunter road Hanmakonda 10th C.B.C
4 Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple Inavolu Inavolu 12th-13th CE

Sri Mallikarjuna swamy temple

The Name Ayanavolu seems to have been derived from Ayyanavole means ‘Priests holy village’. The name Ayanavolu first appeared in the inscription of Western Chalukya King ‘Satyasraya Irivabedanga’ in 1007 A.D in Punnavolu, a nearby village. The earliest inscription noticed in this village is datable to Tribhuvanamalla Vikramaditya-VI (1118 A.D.) which records a gift to Lakulesvara Pandita by a subordinate of the King. There is a stone inscription in the temple premises setup by Anapotanayaka, Velama chief of Recharla family datable to 1369 A.D. in which the name of the God is mentioned as ‘Mailarudevara’.

Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy or Mallanna is worshipped here as Mailarudeva. The image of Mailarudeva is 6 feet in sitting posture facing east, sand-witched between the images of his consorts, Balija Medalamma and Golla Kethamma. The temple is constructed in the center of massive toranas with in a rectangular prakara with openings on south, east and northern sides. This is a saandhara type of temple having inner pradakshanapatha. In front of the temple is a massive 24 pillered ranga mandapa. On the southern and eastern cardinal directions two massive toranas resembling the Kakatiya gates of Warangal are located. On the northern side the remnants of fallen torana is seen on ground. No trace of torana is available on the western side of the temple. From the architectural point of view it appears that the temple was constructed in the early Kakatiya period and the mandapa and toranas were added during the period of Kakatiya Rudradeva (1158 – 1195 A.D.) the first sovereign ruler of the dynasty.

Recently the Department has re-erected the northern side fallen torana in its original place.

5 Fort & Gadi Thatikonda Station Ghanpur 13th CE

Fort & Gadi

This is a famous fort of Warangal district which is associated with Sarvay Papa Rayudu of Quillashapur, a local leader who had then defied Mughal imperial authority and also revolted against the Golconda Nawabs. The historic Quilla i.e., hill fort is situated in survey no. 513 and the gadis are in survey no. 369. The fortifications lie on the top of the hillock. The mud fortification wall in intermittent patches runs from the top to the fort of the hill to join the gadi.

The gadi is square in plan covering an area of about 5.36 acres. The basal width of wall is 3 feet and the height is about 16-20 feet. The material used for the construction of walls from the basement until 3 feet is stone and above this, it is made of mud. The mud wall consists of pati earth, which is mixed with potsherds, gravel, coarse sand, small chips etc. The mud wall appears to be consisting of different layers. It has four bastions on four corners. The bastions are constructed with dressed stones.

6 Fort, Fortification Bastions and Gateways Zaffergadh Zaffergadh 17th CE

Fort, Fortification Bastions and Gateways

The original name of Zaffargadh was Velpugonda. According to a Rashtrakuta inscription carved on the rock wall of the tank of the Lakshminarasimha Swamy hillock (Peddagutta) here, Sankaraganda of Rashtrakuta line of chiefs is believed to have constructed the tank on the hillock. On the back side of the hillock a Trikuta Temple, Garuda pillar and a Vishnu temple of Kakatiya period and a mosque are located. This area was occupied by Muslim rulers in the medieval times after the fall of Kakatiyas of Warangal in 1323 CE. Zaffruddoula, a Subedar of Golconda Nawabs (1760 AD) was the ruler of this area. With the aim of becoming an independent ruler of this area he had constructed an impregnable fort. Before his designs could be fructified, the Nawabs of the Golconda reportedly came to know about his plans and put him to death.

The village of Zaffargadh is situated in the valley between the hills on eastern and western sides. The hills are known as Chinnagutta and Peddagutta. There is a self manifested Lakshminarasimha Swamy Temple on Peddagutta. The village and the hills are surrounded by a rampart, 5 km in circumference. Around the rampart there is a deep moat. Three darwazas (inlets) were constructed to regularize the incoming and outgoing traffic. The darwazas are namely the Khammam darwaza Patnam darwaza and Hanamkonda darwaza. The doors of the darwazas are 10 feet wide and 20 feet in height. The bastions and gates are mounted with huge iron cannons.

7 Fort ( built by Zafaruddaula) Wardannapet Wardannapet 18th C.A.D.
8 Cairns Kondaparti Hanmakonda 10th C.B.C
9 Stone Circles Sidapur Hasanparthi 10th-9th C.B.C.
10 Pakhal Lake and Inscription Ashoknagar Khanapur 13th CE

Pakhal Lake and Inscription

The Lake: Kakatiyas were great rulers who had constructed tanks, temples and towns. This tank is one of the most important contributions of the Kakatiya rulers. It is situated about 9 kms. from Narsampet, where the Pakhal lake shines like a mirror in the lush and green fields. The surrounding hills and tall trees reflect beautifully in the crystal clear water of the lake. The construction of Tank stands as an excellent testimony to the skill of the Kakatiyas in irrigation works. A stone inscription, considered the only witness to this feat still reminds the visitors the commitment of Kakatiya rulers towards the welfare of the people. The lengthy dam which runs upto 1.5 km. was raised to a height of 30 feet spreading its water to 80 square kilometres and caters to the needs of the paddy fields of the surrounding areas.

The Inscription: An inscription is erected on the tank bund. It depicts the genealogy of the Kakatiya kings and records the construction of magnificent tank at the Maudgalyatirtha near Sivaramanatha temple and a splendid town called Ganapapura. The genealogy records in this inscription is mythological and historical parts. The historical part mentions Prola-II, his sons Rudra and Mahadeva and Ganapathi (the son of Mahadeva). The Inscription measures 1.90 mts. height x 0.36 mts. width and is carved on its four sides. On top portion, Sun, Ganesha, Moon, Poorna Khumbhas and elephant are carved. The inscription was composed by Kavi Chakravarthi.

11 Trikuta Temple Nidigonda Ragunathpally 13th CE

Trikuta temple

According to a stone inscription, the Trikuta temple here was built by Kundamarnba, the wife of Natavadi Rudra and Sister of Kakati Ganapathideva. She is believed to have consecrated the God Rudresha, Mahadeva and Surya and endowed them with part of the village Kundavaram. The temple is currently under reconstruction.

12 Ganapeswara Group of Temples (Kota Gullu) Ghanpur (Mulugu) Ghanpur (Mulugu) 13th C.A.D

Ganapeswara Group of Temples (Kota Gullu)

Ghanapuram is a veritable museum of the Kakatiya architecture and art. The temple complex is located on the north-east of the village. Altogether nearly 22 temples are constructed here within a stone enclosure. The main temple i.e. Ganapeswaralayam dedicated to Lord Siva, faces east. The 60 pillared natya mandapa to the southern side of the main temple is probably the main entrance to the complex, with 19 subsidiary shrines in rows all around the main temple, and there is another Siva temple, to the north of the main temple. All are built in red sand stone.

Later a mud fortification was reportedly raised all around the entire temple complex probably to protect them and hence, they are locally termed as "Kota gullu". The inscriptions inscribed on the wall of mukhamandapa of Ganapeswaralayam refers to the visit of Vibhutigaura, the resident of Srigiri, the house hold servant of Panditharadhya and a native of Machirajupalli near Orugallu. The other inscription slab refers to certain Ganapathi Reddy, who installed Lord Ganapeswara and donated land during the reign of Ganapathi Deva (1199-1262 CE) in the cyclic year of "Jaya Nama Samvatsara, Vaisakha Sudha Trayodasi, Bruhaspati Vasaram" (corresponding to 1234-35 CE). From the epigraphical evidence, it is believed that the temple was built during the first half of 13th Century CE.

13 Dolmens Katakshapur Atmakur 7th-6th C.B.C
14 Cairns Mulugu Road Mulugu 10th C.B.C
15 Cairns Arapaili Hanmakonda 10th C.B.C
16 Inscriptions Urus Khilla Warangal 13th CE

Inscriptions

Two inscriptions are carved on the boulders of Urusgutta which is very nearer to Fort Warangal, the capital of Kakatiyas.

The first inscription is in two panels in Nagari script. It is an incomplete and damaged portion of kavya. It mentions the marriage of a couple.

The second inscription is in three panels in 62 Sanskrit verses. The first line of the first panel is in Nagari script and the rest is written in Telugu script. The language of the inscription is Sanskrit. It is a unique record describing the love marriage of a Siddha couple. The content of the inscription is that Kinnera, daughter of Kanakangada falls in love with a Siddha. To meet his lover, Siddha goes to the Palace in the night where he was detected and imprisoned. Later the King comes to know that the person who loved his daughter is none other than a Siddha with respectable origin and hence, he performs the marriage with Vedic custom in the presence of ritual fire. In this inscription the separation of the couple and their reunion by Yaksha, the sambhoga srungara aspect, the Sunset and the Moon rise are beautifully described by the author. The contents of this inscription are considered similar to that of Kalidasa's "Meghasandesha" Kavya. Narasimha Rishi, son of Vishveswara Panditha, the raja guru of Rudramadevi is the author of the above two inscriptions.

The Department has published a separate book titled “Siddhodvaha Nrusimha” on these inscriptions.

17 Siva Temple Jakaram Mulugu 13th CE

Siva temple

The temple built exclusively with red sand stone, dedicated to lord Siva consists of a garbhagriha, antarala and closed mandapa with porches on three sides. The temple faces east and it stands majestically on high adhistana. Each entrance is elaborately carved and the notable feature that the space in between each entrance is invariably closed with huge blocks of pink granite, having perforation for admitting light and air inside. Similar to an early Chalukyan temple, the plinth of the temple is high, having a series of mouldings right from the base. The outer walls of the shrine are embellished with a row of sikhara motifs separated by pilasters set up at regular intervals. This temple is located 40 km from Warangal on the way to Mulug. This temple was constructed during the time of Kakatiyas and on stylistic grounds, it dates back to the second quarter of 13th Century CE.

18 Panchakuta Temple Ramanujapur Venkatapur 13th CE

Panchakuta temple

The temple locally known as “Nancharigudi” is a rare Panchakuta type of temple built by the Kakatiyas. It has five shrines with a common rangamandapa, constructed within a rectangular stone prakara with an entrance on the southern side.

The central shrine of the Panchakuta temple faces south, and the remaining four shrines face east and west (two on each side). The architraves of 5 shrines are depicted with Samudramadhana, Umamaheswara, Venugopala flanked by gopikas, Astabhuja Devi and Nataraja flanked by dikpalas. Though there is no presiding deity in the Garbhagriha, it seems to be that it has been dedicated to Venugopala as the architrave of the main temple is portrayed with Venugopala flanked by gopikas.

19 Reddy Gudi Ghanpur Ghanpur 13th C.A.D.

Reddy Gudi

The Shiva temple situated inside Ghanpur village is locally known as "Reddy Gudi". It is believed that the temple was constructed by Ganapathi Reddy, a member of Recharla family. Hence, it is named as “Reddy Gudi". The Siva temple i.e. Reddy gudi faces north and consists of garbhagriha, antarala and entrance ways on north, east and western sides. Although simple in plan, it is embedded with all the elegant characters present in the nearby main shrine i.e., Ganapeshwaralayam of Kakatiya times.

20 Megalithic Burials Ghanpur station Ghanpur station 10th C.B.C
21 Angadiveerannagudi (Jain Temple) Bairanpalli Maddur 11th C.B.0

Angadiveerannagudi (Jain temple)

22 Siva Temple Gudur Gudur 13 th Century CE

Siva Temple

This is a flat roofed Saivite Trikuta temple. Currently only two shrines on southern and western side are intact whereas the northern side shrine is completely missing. Shivalinga is seen in the main garbhagriha and the sculpture of Shiva-Parvathi is kept in the southern side of the shrine. It is a proto type of Kakatiya temple, lesser in dimensions and architectural work.

23 Fort of Survay Paparayudu Quileshapur Ragunathpally 18 th C.A.D

Fort of Survay Paparayudu

This famous Fort is located in Quillashapur village, about 5 km from Raghunathapalli Railway station on Hanmakonda-Hyderabad Highway. Sarvay Papa Rayudu of Quillashapur, was a famous local leader who had revolted against the Golconda Nawabs. Local legend has associated Quillashapur with Sardar Papa Rayudu of 18th Century, a local renegade leader who had then defied Mughal Imperial authority with his activities centered round Tatikonda, Shahpur, Golconda, Bhuvanagiri, Warangal, Elgandal and Kaulas etc. The fort is constructed on square plan with massive bastions at four corners of the fortifications. The fort is locally known as Quillashapur fort named after Shapur village.

24 Siva Temple Katrapalle Kesamudram 13 th Century CE

Siva temple

A Shiva Temple dating back to Kakatiya period was discovered in Katrapalli Village. The temple faces east, preceded by an antarala, a closed mandapa and an entrance porch towards east.

The shrine doors have Poornakumbhas on either sides of the bottom portion of the doorjambs while its upper portion is divided into a number of facets consisting of a row of flowers and slender ornate pilasters, accompanied by dancing figures on its middle square portion.

The lintel has a Gajalakshmi figure as its Lalatabimba. Miniature sikhara motifs fills the space of the horizontal lintel. Four central pillars here bear the carvings of pair of hamsas, depicting elephants, kirthimukhas and there is a pearl garland design on the central square.

25 Trikuta Temple Kondaparthy Inavolu 13 th CE

Trikuta temple

Kondaparthy village is located nearly 12 kms. from Warangal witnessed its heyday during the Kakatiya period when it bore the name "Sri Kondiparthy Nagare" and served as the head quarters of the feudatory chiefs of Malyala family. Three inscriptions were reported from this village. The earliest inscription datable to 9th Century AD in archaic Telugu is on a boulder locally known as "Kokkera gundu" situated in a big tank of the village.

The second inscription datable to 1203 A.D. gives an account of Malyala family and records the construction of a Siva temple called Chaundesvara and excavation of a tank named Chaunda Samudra by Chaunda Senapathi, the Commander of Kakatiya ruler Ganapathi deva. The third inscription datable to 1242 AD, records the construction of two temples to Rudresvara and another to Kesava and installation of deities as well as the construction of prakara wall to the above temples including Prolesvara temple which was already in existence. This is a Trikuta temple which has three shrines on the south, west and north along with garbhagriha and antarala while a common rangamandapa has an entrance facing east. The sikharas of the shrines are built with brick and are of the stepped pyramidal type.

26 Sri Narasimha Swamy Temple Bussapur Govindaraopet 12 th -13 th CE

Sri Narasimha Swamy Temple

On the way to Laknavaram lake in Bussapur village, a typical Kakatiya temple locally known as Narasimha Swamy gudi is located. Both Laknavaram lake and temple were built during the Kakatiya times for promoting agriculture and temple activity. The temple faces south and consists of garbhagriha, antarala and sixteen pillared rangamandapa which are inturn enclosed by a rectangular compound wall. Yoga Narasimha is the presiding deity of the temple. Mithuna figures have been carved on the outer wall of the temple.

27 Sri Durga Malleswara Swamy Temple Kothur Khanapur 13 th CE

Sri Durga Malleswara Swamy Temple

28 Ekavira Temple Mogilicherla Geesugonda 13 th CE

Ekavira Temple

Mogilicherla village is located nearly 6 kms. from the district headquarters of Warangal. Famous works of post-Kakatiya times such as 'Kridhabhiramam' and `Siddeswara Charitra' etc., mention that Kakatiya rulers, especially Queen Rudrama Devi used to worship the deities of temples located nearby Warangal quite often and one of them is Ekavira / Ellamma goddess located in Mogilicherla Village.

According to local traditions, Ekavira or Ellamma is none other than Renuka, the mother of Parashurama. This is a typical Sandhara temple with inner pradakshina patha, which has entrances on north, east and southern sides while there is a garbhagriha which is located on western side within the hall. There are eight big pillars, four at the centre over the broken rangasila, two in front of garbhagriha and the remaining two inside the garbhagriha. Twenty short pillars form the rectangular temple with a portico on eastern side. The entire temple was reportedly built on bedrock.

29 Two Trikuta Temples Katakshapur Atmakur

Two Trikuta Temples

A Pair of Trikuta temples built in granite stone is located on the outskirts of Katakshapur village, 26 kms. from Warangal on Warangal - Mulugu road.

The first temple faces east having three shrines on (on north, west and south and consists of garbhagriha and antarala with a common rangamandapa enclosed by compound wall. Shivalingas are installed in all the three garbhagrihas.

The second temple faces south having three shrines on east, north and west consists of garbhagriha and antarala with a common rangamandapa. The central shrine is dedicated to Chennakeshava, whereas the other two are with Shivalingas.

Based on the architectural styles, these temples are dated to the time of Kakatiya Rudra Deva i.e. 12th century A.D.