> Monuments> Monuments of Rangareddy

Monuments of Rangareddy

S.No Name of the Monument Village Mandal Period
1 Keesaragutta Site Keesara Keesara 4th7thBCE

Keesaragutta Site

Keesaragutta also known as Kesaragiri, is situated at 45 kms. from Hyderabad in Keesara Mandal of Rangareddy District. Keesaragutta hill range is about 300 ft. high from the planes with flat and undulating areas over the top of the hills and was enclosed by a fort wall constructed during the Vishnukundin Period. It is an important ancient Saivite centre perched on the top of the hill, the antiquity of which may at least dated from 4th centur A.D., on the basis of a large number of Vishnukundin coins and also other early historical cultural material that were unearthed in course of excavations The presiding deity at Keesaragutta is Ramalingeswara installed by Lord Rama (Parasu Rama) according to sthalapurana.

The Department has conducted excavations at Keesaragutta and brought to light several structures with large sized bricks comparable to those found at Nagarjunakonda and Yeleswaram in lkshvaku levels. The cultural material associated with the brick structures include large number of Vishnukundin coins, Garbhapatra, Lajjagouri stone plaque (Mother goddess), stucco figures, crystal linga, terracotta linga, terracotta ear spools, sprinklers, beads, shall bangles, pottery etc. Brick structures square on plan were exposed in the excavations. The brick used for construction of these structures measured 45 x 25 x 71Acms. All these structures are enclosed in a massive enclosure wall.

At the top one of the rock-cut caves, an early Telugu label inscription reading as 'Thulachuvanru' was noticed. On the basis of palaeography, the inscription is dated to 4th - 5th century A. D. Interestingly, large number of Lingas with brick platform are noticed in rows on the top of the hillock.

2 Qutub Shahi Mosque Uppal Khalsa Uppal 17th CE

Qutub Shahi Mosque

The Mosque is situated in Uppal area of Hyderabad on Warangal Road. This Mosque was built during reign of Abdullah Qutb Shah (1626 - 1672). The Mosque has an arched facade of three Qutb Shahi arches in the front and is approached by a flight of steps. The arches are adorned by plain round medallions, which are supported by curved brackets. The dome stands on a polygonal base formed by crossing of arches. There is an arched gallery at parapet level of the mosque. The entire structure is made of granite stone.

3 Hayat Bakshi Begum Mosque Hayatnagar Hayatnagar 17th CE

Hayat Bakshi Begum Mosque

Hayath Bakshi Begum, mother of Abdullah Quli Qutb Shah VI, was popularly known as Ma Saheba (Reverend Mother). She was the only daughter of the fourth king Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah, the founder of Hyderabad and married his nephew Sultan Muhammad Qutb Shah who became the fifth king. She played a very prominent political role during the reign of all the three Qutb Shahi rulers. She died in the year 1666 CE at the age of 76.

At about 16 kms. to the east of Hyderabad, Hayatnagar was founded by Hayat Bakshi Begum. This place is on the trade route from Surat to Masulipatnam. Here a fairly large Mosque with facade of five arches was constructed on a raised platform. This Mosque is also known as Hayatnagar “Grand Mosque”. In this complex a Sarai (Guest houses for travellers) consisting of 134 rooms was constructed in the vast courtyard which occupies an area of nearly 5 acres. In this complex there is a well known as “Hathi Bowli”.

4 Sivalayam (The dance panels of Lord Siva & Parvathi) Yellakonda Nawabpet 12th CE

Sivalayam (The dance panels of Lord Siva & Parvathi)

This old Sivalayam is located in Yellakonda Village, Nawabpet Mandal in Ranga Reddy District.

The temple is dedicated to lord Siva and was built during Kakatiya period consisting of garbhagriha, antarala and mandapa enclosed by rectangular Kakshasana. The ceilings of mandapa are carved with Astadikpalakas. A beautiful seven hooded Nagini sculpture is kept in front of the temple.

5 Akkanna's Sarai (Big Sarai & well attributed to Akkanna) Maisaram Maheswaram 17th CE

Akkanna's Sarai (Big Sarai & well attributed to Akkanna)

Akkana Sarai is a square shaped sarai dedicated to Akkana, a senior officer who served the Qutb Shahi Empire from 1674 CE to 1686 CE. It is surrounded by a huge compound wall with built-in cubicles facing inner side of the compound, which was probably used as rest house. There is a palatial building situated in the middle. There is another pillared structure, probably used as meeting hall. The compound wall consists of some cubicles near the gate, constructed on the outer side. A small Hindu temple is also present on the first floor of the square shaped Sarai enclosure.

There is a huge compound wall, constructed as a supporting back wall with large number of cubicles present in the sarai. Some cubicles are much bigger in size, provided with small niches, some cubicles are smaller in size and these rest rooms are provided in the masjid area also. Some of the rest rooms are constructed like dormitory places. All these structures are constructed on huge rocky pillars and even the roof is made with huge stone slabs. It is a huge resting place designed as cubicles, dormitory and open verandah and the total resting place is supported by huge stone pillars built as per the Hindu art and architecture. The floral designs are also observed on the walls and roof and also on the pillars. The pillars are quadrangle in shape.

6 Monds Raymond's Oblisk (This is last resting place of Michel Jochim Maria) Moosarambagh Saroornagar 17th-18th C.A.D

Monds Raymond's Oblisk (This is last resting place of Michel Jochim Maria)

7 Hasmathpet Cairns Hasmathpet Balanagar 10thBCE

Hasmathpet cairns

Hashmatpet village is located about 6 kms. from Secunderabad in Ranga Reddy District. These burials were first discovered and protected by the Department of Archaeology, Nizam’s Government. This site was first noticed by Dr. Walker and later visited by Colonel Meadows Taylor, an eminent archaeologist. Subsequently, Dr. Bellow Caption Doris had excavated few burials and unearthed a brass bell and other pottery under the supervision of Sri. D. G. Meakenzie in 1934-35 with an aim to study the cultural aspects of the site and brought to light a cist burial with porthole. In the year 1971 excavations were conducted by the department in collaboration with Birla Cultural and Archaeological Research Institute, Hyderabad at few burials which exposed cist burials along with megalithic cultural material. Again in the year 2000-2001, the Department of Archaeology and Museums had conducted excavations at three burials and exposed cairn circles along with megalithic cultural material. These burials can be dated back to 3rd Century B.C.

8 Moula Ali Cairns & Cromlechs Moula Ali Malkajgiri 10th C.B.C
9 Bowinapalli Cairns Bowinapalli Bowinapalli 10th C.B.C.
10 Cairns with Menhirs Serilingampalli Ranga Reddy 10th C.B.C

Lingampalli Cairns

Megaliths are special class of Monuments in Deccan particularly in Telangana State. Almost all types of megalithic monuments like menhirs, stone circles, dolmens and dolmonoid cists are reported in many villages of Ranga Reddy district.

Few such megalithic burials are located in the premises of University of Hyderabad. The site was first reported by D.G. Machenzi in the year 1935 CE followed by excavations conducted by the department of Archaeology. Cairn burial with huge menhir were unearthed which brought to light megalithic culture of this region.

11 Megalithic Burials Kukatpalli Kukatpalli 10th C.B.C
12 Megalithic Burials Gurramguda Saroornagar 10th C.B.C
13 Akkanna Madanna's Temple (Hindu Temple constructed by Golconda Ministers) Kukatpalli Kukatpalli 18th C.A.D
14 Grave & Mosque of Princess Hussaina Begum (VII Kings daughter) Janwada Shankarpalle 18th CE

Grave & Mosque of Princess Hussaina Begum (VII Kings daughter)

A grave and mosque was constructed here in the memory of, the Princess Hussaina Begum daughter of Abdullah Qutb Shah VI.

The mosque is constructed on an elevated square platform with minarets and parapet wall and a facade in typical Qutb Shahi style of architecture. The interior portion of the mosque is decorated with stucco work.

15 Megalithic Burials Gundal Chevella 10th BCE

Megalithic burials

The word "megalith" comes from the Ancient Greek, “megas” meaning “great” and “líthos” meaning “stone". These prehistoric burials are marked with huge stones are found in abundance in Telangana state.

One such type of burial complex is located in Gundal village, Chevella mandal in Ranga Reddy District about 35 km from Hyderabad. The site is spread in an area of nearly 10 acres, consisting of 50 burials of cairn circles of different dimensions.

16 Megalithic Burials Kethireddipalle Chevella 10th BCE

Megalithic burials

A megalithic burial complex consisting of 60 cairn circles varying in dimensions spread over an area of 60 acres is located Kethireddipalle Village.

17 Artifacts (Neolithic site) Tolukatta Charminar 25th C.B.C
18 Megalithic Burials Shapur Chevella 10th C.B.C
19 Fortification & Baradari Malkajgiri Malkajgiri 17th CE

Fortification & Baradari

Fortification and Baradari are located in Malkajgiri, Ranga Reddy District. This fortified land belonged to the second Nizam, Nizam Ali Khan. It was named as Bagh-e-Mahooba Begum (garden of the darling wife). It has a building (mahal) named as Baradari. This was a gift to his Begum. Nizam II had reportedly stayed with Begum Sahiba on every Friday, when he visited the nearby mosque Maula Ali for his afternoon prayers.

The complex has two gates, one in the form of an elephant or a horse ridden chariot. The area also features a fountain, a large well with bathing facilities for the Zenana as well as side lawns opposite the baradari. The multi-foliated arches and the columns are built in the Qutb Shahi and Mughal style.

20 Shams-Ul-Umra Tombs Santosh nagar Cly Hyderabad 18th C.A.D

Shams-ul-umra Tombs

21 Sri Chennakesava Swamy Temple Nedunuru Kandukur 18th C.A.D

Sri Chennakesava swamy Temple

22 Sri Vendikonda Siddheswara Swamy Temple Shamshabad Shamshabad 13th CE

Sri Vendikonda Siddheswara swamy Temple

Sri Vendikonda Siddeswara Swamy temple is located on the terrace of a hill and is dedicated to Lord Siva. There are two subsidiary shrines namely Ammavari temple and Bhavani Matha temple which are connected by a mahamandapa supported by 32 pillars.

In the temple complex, there are also other temples dedicated to Vinayaka, Anjaneya and Siva located on either side of the complex. There is a step well called "Gundam" with perennial water. In front of the gundam (water tank) a Sivalinga and Nandi dating back to the 7th century CE are installed. There are two pillars inside the mahamandapa in typical Rastrakuta style datable to the 9th century CE.

Inside Siva temple and Ammavari temple, Sivalinga and Parvati datable to the 10th Century CE are installed. The Kalyana mandapam and Anjaneya Swamy temple located on the left side of the complex are datable to the Kakatiya period. The Ganesha image in the Vinayaka temple is in seated posture and is in typical Kakatiya style.

23 Sri Cheekati Venkateswara Swamy Temple Pulimamidi Kandukuru 18th C.A.D

Sri Cheekati Venkateswara swamy Temple

24 Sri Laxmi Narasimha Swamy Temple Raviryal Maheswaram 17th CE

Sri Laxmi Narasimha swamy Temple

Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy temple is constructed on a hillock and it is facing east. It has a Garbhagriha and a Mukhamandapa supported by 16 pillars with flat roof and newly constructed parapet wall. The main idol Lakshmi Narasimha is carved in Black Granite and installed on a pedestal. It is in seated posture with four hands. Sankha – Chakra in upper two hands while the lower two hands are in Abhaya and Varada postures. The left leg is folded and right leg is kept free, Sri Narasimha is in Zoomrphic form having Kirita and depicted with other ornaments over his head, five headed Naga is carved.

On the doorjambs of the Garbhagriha, Vaisnavite Dwarapalas are carved. On the lintel portion of the doorjamb decoration of festoons and depiction of devotee in Anjali pose is carved. On either side of the Garbhagriha two cells with common mandapa supported by 6 pillars are constructed. The sikhara of the temple is in Dravidian order. It is decorated with Bitti-Kudu series.

The temple has two entrances, one main entrance facing east can be reached by flight of stair cases from below. There is another stepped stair case on the southern side. The entrance of this stair case is with a gateway depicted with an arch like design lintel, two niches are seen on either side of the entrance.

A ‘16’ pillared Mandapa on the right side of the main temple constucted separately with toped cornice over which parapet wall is seen. Pillars are plain up to the capital portion and top with Nagabanda motif supporting the cornice. On the left side of the mandapa, Dasanjaneya sculpture of Hanuman is depicted in Anjali mudra facing to his left. The tail of the Hanuman is carved over the head. On the basis of the architectural features the temple is datable to 16th Century CE.

25 Mah Laqa Bai Tombs Complex Malkajgiri Malkajgiri 18th19th CE

Mah Laqa Bai Tombs Complex

Mah Laqa Bai Chanda Tombs Complex is located near Moula Ali hamlet of Malkajgiri in Ranga Reddy District. Mah Laqa Bai was born in the year 1768. She was also called as Mah Laqa Chanda. She was an 18th century Urdu Poetess and considerable influential in the court of 2nd and 3rd Nizam’s of Hyderabad. She died in the year 1824 and her tomb was constructed at Moula Ali.

Mah Laqa constructed a compound wall where she frequently held mushairas. Inside this compound she had built a Tomb for her Mother in 1792. After her death, Mah Laqa was buried next to her mother. The Tomb was constructed in typical Mughal and Rajasthani architectural style in the Char Bagh pattern. On a carved teak wood door of her Tomb, an inscription in Urdu is noticed. Along with the Tomb, the complex contains a pavilion in the centre, which is decorated with stuccowork; sarai, a mosque and two step wells.

26 Sri Ananta Padmanabha Swamy Sculpture Devarampally Chevella Mandal 12th-13th CE

Sri Ananta padmanabha swamy sculpture

The idol of Sri Anantha Padmanabha Swamy Sculpture in is carved in black granite stone measuring (2.20mts x1.00 mts). The figure of Anantha Padrnanabha Devarampally Village, is carved on a boulder here. A 32 hooded snake is also beautifully carved behind him. The upper right hand is kept below As head and the lower right hand is kept near his chest. The upper left hand is holding Sankha while the lower left hand is kept on the folded left leg. Sri Brahma is seen seated on a lotus which is raised from the navel of Anantha Padmanabha. His consorts Sri Devi and Bhu Devi are carved near his feet portion. Above the in deity, Sankha, Chakra and devotees images are also carved. On the basis of the iconographical features, this sculpture dates backto 12th -13th Century A.D.