> Monuments> Monuments of Nizamabad

Monuments of Nizamabad

S.No Name of the Monument Village Mandal Period
1 Old Tombs Nizamabad Nizamabad 16th —17th C.A.D
2 Jaina Sculptures Nizamabad Nizamabad 12th C.A.D
3 Fort (Qutub Shahi times) Nizamabad Nizamabad 16th-17th C.A.D
4 Narasimha Swamy temple Jankampet Vailpoor 17th CE

Narasimha Swamy Temple

Sri Laxminarasimha Swamy Temple consisting of garbhagriha and pillared hall is located in Janakampet village enclosed within a prakara wall. By the side of this temple there is a Puskarini (Koneru – step well) which is constructed in octagonal (Astamukhi) plan. Though the puskharini here and the temple was built during the Rashtrakuta times undergone continuous renovations during the period of Chalukyas, Kakatiyas and later period.

The plan of the temple consists of a central mandapa, a chamber and pillared hall. The temple premises consist of Dharmasala also. It is also a popular learning centre i.e. Vidyapeeth / Vedapathasala. The principal deity is Narasimhaswamy.

5 Ramalayam Dichpally Dichpally 17th CE

Ramalayam

Rama temple built in Vijayanagara style is located on a small hillock in a beautiful back ground, 10 km away from Nizamabad on the outskirts of Dichpalli village. To reach the temple one has to climb more than hundred steps through a beautiful entrance torana, which is surmounted by keerthi mukha. The temple consists of a big hall with a small mandapa, having entrances on its three sides facing east.

The door jambs of the entrances are carved with Jaya, Vijaya (Vaishnavaite dwarapalakas) while the lintel portion of door jambs is decorated with gajalakshmi motif. The temple is built on a high raised decorated adhistana. The external walls of the temple are decorated with kostha, pilasters and kumbha panjara series. The cornice portion is decorated with kudu motifs surmounted with keerthi mukhas. The central portions of all kudus are decorated with musicians in different poses, holding musical instruments.

6 Deval Mosque and Rashtrakuta & Persian Inscriptions Bodhan Bodhan 10th-14th CE

Deval Mosque and Rashtrakuta & Persian Inscriptions

Bodhan was an ancient city, the history of which goes back to the times of Mahabharatha and Puranas. It was the principal city of Asmakas. It was also called as Ekachakrapuri and Bahudhanyapuri in Hindu literature and as Pudan or Podana in Jain literature. During the Rastrakuta period Bodhan was under the control of their feudatories i.e., Vemulawada Chalukyas. It is also a sacred place for Digambara Jain sect. It is also associated with the great poet Pampa who wrote Adipurana in Kannada.

The Deval Masjid, which is situated in the historic Bodhan region of Nizamabad district as its name signifies, was originally believed to be a Hindu temple, and later converted into a mosque by Muhammad bin Tughlaq (AD 1325-1351) at the time of his conquest of the Deccan region.

The plan of the temple is star-shaped; which had later undergone slight alteration at the hands of Muslim rulers, except for the removal of the shrine-chamber and the setting up of a pulpit. The date of the conversion of this temple into a mosque is not recorded in the inscriptions.

Originally, this was a Jain temple that was built during the period of Rastrakuta ruler Indra III in 10th Century A.D. and it was renovated during the period of Kalyani Chalukya ruler Someswara who had then named it as Indranarayana swamy temple.

7 Megalithic Burials Kolhapur Armur 10th C.B.C.
8 Medieval Fort Balkonda Balkonda 16th-17th CE

Medieval Fort

A Qutb Shahi fort stands near a large tank in the vicinity of the Balkonda town, on the Hyderabad- Nagpur road. This fort has small bastions, elephant stables etc. The fort was under the control of Asaf Jahi rulers.

9 Megalitnic Burials (Cairns) Mahur Kamareddy 10th C.B.D.
10 Megalithic Burials (Stone Circles) Yellareddypet Yellareddypet 10th C.B.C
11 Fort, Tomb, Mosque and Dargha Kowlas Jukkal 10th-17th CE

Fort, Tomb, Mosque and Dargha

The village of Kowlas is a historical place, situated in Jukkal Mandal of Nizamabad District. According to local tradition, Kowlas was originally called, 'Kailas', as five Sivalingas were established by the Kakatiya rulers in five corners. The Kowlas, Bodhan and Nizamabad kingdoms together were called Indur in ancient times. Kowlas Fort was constructed at the present site by Rashtrakutas during 9th Century CE. The Fort was captured by Chalukyas of Kalyani dynasty in the third quarter of 10th Century CE. The mud fort was later captured by Kakatiyas of Warangal and it was part of Kakatiya kingdom till 1323 CE. After the advent of the Muslims the fort was successively under the control of Bahamanis, Qutb Shahis, Naikwaries, Mughals, Maratas and finally Asaf Jahis.

Raja Gopal Singh Gour was appointed as the Raja of Kowlas and his successors held this fort till 1947 CE. The Fort is approximately one kilometre in length and seven hundred meters in width. It has 52 bastions (the prominent bastions are Hussaini, Mallika, Mula and Kadika Burz), three temples (Venkateswara temple, Ramalayam and Mahadev temple), two mosques, five wells, four granaries and other structures such as Rani mahal, Elephant well (Enugula bavi) etc.

Jagdamba Bhawani canon also known as Navgarji tope is the largest canon of the world of its time. Raja Gopal Singh made this in the year 1728 CE. There are five more canons inside the Fort.

12 Tomb of Behlul shah wali Kaulas Jukkal 17th C.A.D
13 Mosque of Khooni khan Kaulas Jukkal 16th-17th C.A.D
14 Dargha of Shah-Zia-Ul-Haq Kaulas Jukkal 16th-17th C.A.D
15 Hindu temple (Mahadev temple) Kaulas Jukkal 13th-14th C.A.D
16 Hill fort & Persian inscriptions Kaulas Jukkal 1323 AD

Monuments of Kaulas fort

17 Medieval Fortification Walls Domakonda Domakonda 13th-18th C.A.D

Medieval Fortification Walls

Domakonda fort was constructed on circular plan with two entrances on east and west side, followed by bastions in the four directions. There are two palaces and temple complex located in the fort. This fort was under control of Chalukyas of Kalyani and Kakatiyas. From 1786 A.D, the rulers of Kamineni family ruled from this fort till 1947 CE. They constructed beautiful palaces and renovated a temple dedicated to Mahadeva.

18 Shiva (Trikutalaya) Temple Tandur Nagireddypet 13th CE

Shiva (Trikutalaya) Temple

A Trikuta temple built during Kakatiya times is located in the outskirts of Tandoor Village, on the bank of river Manjeera. This is a renowned Trikuta temple having three shrines on north, west and south dedicated to Rameswara, Bheemeswara and Someswara (all three Sivalingas) facing east with a balustrade entrance porch. All the three shrines are connected by means of common four pillared rangamandapa. The doorjambs of garbagriha have perforated jalis and Saivite dwarapalakas. All the three sikharas are in stepped pyramidal style.

19 Sri Rajarajeswara Temple Banda Rameshwarpalle Machireddy 13th CE

Sri Rajarajeswara Temple

This is a beautiful and typical Kakatiya temple with garbhagriha and antarala, connected to mukhamandapa facing east. An inscription on mukhamandapa pillar of the temple records the date as Saka Year 1176 (1254 CE). This temple is now called as Rajarajeswaraswamy temple. The temple is enclosed with prakara wall, surmounted with double storied mandapa at the entrance.

20 Shiva Temple and Inscription Bichkunda Bichkunda 10th - 11th CE

Shiva Temple and Inscription

The temple consists of garbhagriha, antarala and 16-pillared open mandapa. It has a beautiful star shaped adhistana which is similar to the Nandikandi Temple in Medak District.

The exterior walls of the temple are decorated with sculptures in niche. The temple has been constructed on a star shaped pattern. On the basis of architectural features it belongs to later Chalukya period i.e. 10th-11th Century CE.