> Monuments> Monuments of Nalgonda

Monuments of Nalgonda

S.No Name of the Monument Village Mandal Period
1 Monolithic Pillar Nalgonda Nalgonda 13th C.A.D

Monolithic Pillar

Several types of free standing pillars are seen in Telangana like other parts of India. The pillar erected on a square platform in Nalgonda town is a Monolithic one. Its height on the platform is about 41 feet. The pillar is square shaped to a height of 2.5 feet and above that, it is octagonal in shape. Erection of such a big Monolithic pillar shows the skill of the Deccan masons in handling huge blocks of stones. The erection of pillar is dated back to 13th Century A.D.

2 Fort Rachakonda Narayanapur 14th C.A.D

Fort

After the fall of Kakatiyas and Musunuri Kapayanayaka, Anapotanayaka and Madanayaka (Velama brothers) became masters of considerable part of Telangana and ruled from 1369 A.D. Anapatanayaka made Rachakonda as his capital and made it an impregnable fort. In the middle of the 15th century the Velama kingdom was conquered by Bahamani Sultan Alaud – Din – Shah and after the fall of the Bahamani kingdom the entire Telangana came under the rule of Qutb Shahis of Golconda.

Rachakonda Fort is located about 16 km. from Choutuppal (Hyderabad – Vijayawada highway). This fort was built on two lofty spurs of the hill, out of long and massive stone blocks measuring over 15 x 1.10 x 1.6 without any mortar as the binding material. There are also square bastions. The fort played an important role in medieval history of Deccan. The fort is located on an ancient trade route and situated very close to the Hyderabad-Vijayawada National highway.

3 Old Dams: Telugu and Persian Inscriptions District Museum, Panagal Nalgonda 16th C.A.D

Old Dams: Telugu and Persian Inscriptions

A bilingual inscription in Persian and Telugu was setup on the tank bund of Panagal in Nalgonda. The content of the inscription shows that while Ibrahim Qutb Shah (1550 – 1580 A.D) was ruling the kingdom, Rahmatullah, his well wisher had constructed the dam across the Musi River.

The details of water sharing and other information is recorded in the inscription. The date of the inscription is mentioned as S'1472 Pramoda, Magha su.15, Somavara. This inscription is now preserved in the District Museum, Panagal.

4 Sri Pachala Someswaraswamy Temple Panagallu Nalgonda 12th C.A.D

Sri Pachala Someswaraswamy Temple

There are three famous temples in Panagal namely Pachala Someswaraswamy Temple, the Venkateswara Swamy Temple and the Chaya Someswara Swamy Temple. Among these, from the architectural and sculptural point of view, the most important one is the Pachala Someswaraswamy Temple. It has the finest sculptural works. The ground plan of Pachala Someswaraswamy temple is different from other temples found in Telangana. It has four shrines, out of which three are arranged on the west while the fourth one is on the east with a common and large rectangular mandapa.

It has excellent sculptures on the walls and pillars, depicting stories from the Ramayana and the Mahabharata. Some of the erotic images on the walls are similar to the ones found in Khajuraho. Siva as Gjasamharamurthy, Ravana shaking Kailasa, Narsimha killing Hiranyakasipu, Battle scenes from the Mahabharatha and Ramayana are important pillar sculptures. Outside walls are also decorated with carvings of the gods. Besides, one can also see a huge Nandi, Ashta Dikpalakas, a dancing Ganesa and Lord Vishnu in the form of a Boar, Shiva as Lingodbhavamurthi. According to a pillar inscription the Pachala Sorneshwaraswamy temple is dated 1124 A.D.

5 Someswara Group of Temples Kolanupaka Aleru 12th C.A.D

Someswara group of temples

6 Stone Circles Tipparti Tipparti 10th-9th C.B.C
7 Stone Circles Nakrekal Nakrekal 10th-9th C.B.C.
8 Cairns & Menhirs Nakrekal Nakrekal 10th C.B.C
9 Cairns & Menhirs Nakrekal Nakrekal 10th C.B.C
10 Stone Circles Nakrekal Nakrekal 10th-9th C.B.C
11 Sri Venugopala Sri Sita Ramachandra Huzurnagar Huzurnagar 13th C.A.D
12 Fort Rachakonda Narayanapur 14th C.A.D

Fort

13 Fortification Raigir Bhongir 13th-14th C.A.D
14 Cairns (Megalithic Burials) Raigir Bhongir 10th C.B.C
15 Hill Fort Bhongir Bhongir 12th- 18 th CE

Hill fort

According to inscriptional evidence Kollipaka-7,000 province was ruled by Jayasimha-II (1015-42 A.D) of Chalukyas of Kalyani as his minor capital in Telangana. Near Kollipakanagara (modern Kolanupaka), there developed a new town with hill fort which was named “Bhuvanagiri” after Someswara-II (1062-72 A.D) who bore the title “Bhuvanaikamalla” and the name of the town was referred to in the inscriptions of his son and successor Thribhuvanamalla Vikramaditya-VI (1076-1126 A.D). The hill fort Bhuvanagiri was under the control of their Dandanayakas.

Bhongir fort is located 45 kms. from Hyderabad on Hyderabad– Warangal High way. The construction of the fort was initiated by the Chalukyas of Kalyani (10th century A.D.), subsequently developed and strengthened by the Kakatiyas (12th – 13th century A.D.) of Warangal. Later on it was passed in to the hands of Padmanayakas then Bahamanis, Qutb-Shahis of Golconda and Asafzahi’s of Hyderabad (17th- 18th C. A.D.). For short period, the fort was under the control of Sardar Sarvay Papa Raidu, a local leader of Quilashapur and Thatikonda forts, who fought against the Mughals and the Nizam.

The fort was built on a monolithic rock which looks like an elephant is considered to be the biggest in the region. This monolithic hill is more than 500 mtrs in height and spread in an area of 40 acores. Due to its monolithic shape it is impregnable for the invading armies and it is very difficult for the enemy to climb. The fort was fortified with huge walls and bastions. The entrance gates are built both in Hindu and later in Islamic style having pillar-beam-lintel and arch shape. On top of the hillock is a specious hall, Baradari built and plaster with lime. The other structures inside the fort are ruined palaces, garrisons, stables for horses and elephants, canons, fountains, step wells, cisterns, gateways, secret pathways etc. The inner walls represent different style in their construction. It was located strategically on ancient trade route, connecting the east costal area.

16 Inscriptions in Fort Bhongir Bhongir 12th CE

Inscriptions in Fort

Bhongir fort is located on Hyderabad - Warangal Highway. There are a number of stone inscriptions belonging to Chalukyas of Kalyani, Kakatiyas and Velama Chiefs which are identified in the town. The present inscription is near the entrance gate of the fort, and belongs to Western Chalukya ruler Thribhuvanamalla (1123 A.D). It records the gift of some dues from the oil millers for the god Someswaradeva of Bhuvangiri Thirtha.

17 Dargah of Hazrat Jamal – i - Bahar Bhongir Bhongir 17th CE

Dargah of Hazarat ZamalBahar (Dargah is famous by local muslims)

The Dargah of Hazrat Jamal – i – Bhahar is located few meters from the Bhongir fort on the road to Nalgonda. Hazrat Zamal Bhahar is a famous local Muslim saint. This Dargah is being worshiped by local Hindus and Muslims.

18 Buddhist and Andhra Site Nagavaram Valigonda 1st C.A.D
19 Megalithic Burials (Stone Circles) Nagavaram Valigonda 10th C.A.D.
20 Old Fort Devarakonda Nalgonda 14th C.A.D

Fort (Old Hindu Fort)

Devarakonda fort is situated 50 kms. to the south-west of Nalgonda town, on the way to Nagarjunakonda, a famous Buddhist centre in the State. The fort is surrounded by a range of hills and at one time, considered a formidable strong hold.

According to the inscriptions carved on the gateway and inside the fort, the antiquity of the fort goes back to Western Chalukyas (1100 A.D.) and subsequently strengthened by the Kakatiyas and later on became the strong hold of Velma Chiefs (14th CAD). Apart from Rachakonda, Devarakonda was another capital of Recherla Velma chiefs. The fort is constructed on a hillock, one has to enter through an arch gate by climbing the stone steps provided to reach the fort. Inside this fort are two temples dedicated to Siva and Rama.

21 Avenues (Megalithic Burials) Jankipur Suryapet 10th C.A.D
22 Buddhist and Andhra Sites Yeleswaram Chandampet 1st C.A.D
23 Stone Circles Huzurnagar Huzurnagar 10th-9th C.B.C
24 Cairns Huzurnagar Huzurnagar 10th C.B.C
25 Stone Circles Huzurnagar Huzurnagar 10th-9th C.B.C
26 Stone Circles Huzurnagar Huzurnagar 10th-9th C.B.C
27 Cairns Huzurnagar Huzurnagar 10th C.B.C
28 Muslim Mosque Dargah & Fort Nagulapadu Penphad 14th15th C.A.D

Muslim mosque Dargah & fort

29 Temples and Inscriptions Nagulapadu Penphad 13th CE

Temples and Inscriptions

Nagulapadu village is situated on the east bank of Musi river nearly 25 kms. from Suryapet. There are five inscriptions of Kakatiya period and two main temples, dating back to 13th Century AD, are situated here close to one another.

Temple No 1 (Trikuta temple): The first inscription is on a stone to the right side of the door way of Trikuta temple. It records that Racherla Katireddy consecrated the gods Nameswara, Aytesvara and Kateswara for the merit of his father, his mother and himself and offered gifts to these gods. This is a typical Kakatiya Trikuta temple. The temple is situated on an upapita with a central hall or navaranga and shrines on three sides i.e., towards north , west and south and a portico towards east.

Temple No 2: This is a typical Kakatiya single shrine structure built on an upapita, approached by a flight of seven steps with porches on three sides of hall and a shrine on western side. It has mouldings similar to that of Trikuta temple of Hanumakonda and Ramappa temple of Palempet.

30 Pillalamarri Temples Pillalamarri Suryapet 13th CE

Pillalamarri temples

Pillalamarri is situated about 5 km. northeast of Suryapet. This village was the head quarters of the Racherla family, who were the famous feudatories of the Kakatiyas. Three important temples of architectural and sculptural wealth are located in this village. They were constructed during 13th Century AD by Racherla family.

Erakeswara Temple: This temple is cruciform in plan with three porticos on east, north and south and a garbhalaya on the west. The sikhara constructed on the garbhagriha is of brick and lime and decorated all over by miniature turrets.

Nameswara Temple: This temple is located inside the village within a stone prakara. The plan of the temple is simple and consists of portico facing east, a hall behind it and an antarala and garbhagriha to the west.

Trikuta Temple: This temple is also constructed in the village within a square compound to the north of Nameswara temple. This temple built on cruciform plan is facing east with three shrines to the north, west and south.

31 Fortifications Raigiri Bhongir 17th- 18 th CE

Fortifications

Raigiri village is located nearly 6 kms. from Bhongir. Here, only ruined mud fortification walls can be seen. It is believed that this fortification might have been constructed in the late medieval period like Quilashpur fort, Thatikonda fort etc.

32 Buddhist Site Panigiri Nagaram 1stBCE To 3rdCE

Buddhist Site

In Sanskrit, Phani means Snake, Giri means hillock. Etymologically, the village “Phanigiri” seems to have derived its name from the shape of hillock which looks like a snake hood located on the northern side of the village. The site was first noticed and explored in the year 1941 and structures exposed during the field seasons 1941-44. After lapse of six decades, the Department has taken up excavations from the years 2001-02 and brought to light a Maha Stupa, a stone pillared congregation hall, three Viharas, two Apsidal Chaityagruhas, Sculptured panels including Jataka stories, Brahmi lable inscriptions belonging to Satavahana and lkshavaku dynasties, coins belonging to Mahatalavarasa, Satavahana, Roman and Ikshavaku period besides early historic cultural materials datable to 1st Century B.C. to 3rd Century A.D. This is the only site which yielded panels carved with Jataka Stories after Amaravati, Nagarjuna konda and Goli.

The Mahastupa is the biggest structure located elegantly on an elevated area on the Southern most part of the monastic complex. It is built on wheel shaped plan and comprised of drum, ayaka platforms and dome. The presence of lower portion of limestone sculptured panels all around the drum and ayaka platforms indicates that the entire drum portion was embellished with sculptured panels as seen at Dhulikatta, Jaggayyapeta and Gummadidurru.

During the scientific clearance works, a valuable dull red ware earthen pot with silver container consisting of 11 miniatures beads, three silver and three thin gold flower petels are discovered at the north eastern corner of Mahastupa, at base of drum portion. In view of this discovery, this Maha stupa may be considered as “Paribhogika” stupa (containing the personal belongs of Buddhist monks)

33 Dolmens, Cairns, Venues Phanigiri Thirumalagiri 1stC.A.D
34 Andhra & Buddhist Sites Gajulabanda Thirumalagiri 1st C.A.D
35 Andhra & Buddhist Sites Thirumalagiri Thirumalagiri 1st C.A.D
36 Andhra & Buddhist Sites Singaram Ramannapet 1st C.A.D.
37 Andhra & Buddhist Sites Wardhamankota Arwapalli 1st C.A.D
38 Ugranasimha Swamy Temple and Fortification Undrugonda Chimvemla 14th- 17 th CE

Ugranasimha Swamy Temple and Fortification

Ugranarsimha swamy temple is located on Undrugondadurgam (fort). The image of Narsirnhaswamy on Garuda peetam is in a natural cave which was converted into a temple by constructing a garbhalaya and pillared mandapa.

Remnants of fortification walls are seen on the Undrugonda fort. At the foot, of the fort an pillared mandapa is located. The central pillars are carved in typical Kakatiya style. The fort seems to have been built during Kakatiya times and was under the control of Muslim invaders after the fall of Kakatiyas.

39 Cairns & Cromlechs Balayaram Suryapet 10th C.B.C
40 Cairns & Cromlechs Masareddipalli Suryapet 10th C.B.C
41 Stone Circles Aravapalli Aravapalli 10th-9th C.B.C
42 Avenues Chinnapur Suryapet 10th C.B.C
43 Stone Circles Karremula Suryapet 10th-9th C.B.C
44 Stone Circles Itur Thirumalagiri 10th-9th C.B.C
45 Avenues Yarkaram Suryapet 10th C.B.C
46 Cairns Yangala Penphad 10th C.B.C
47 Cairns Circles Adloor Shaligouraram 10nt C.B.C
48 Menhirs Koravaram Bhongir 10nt C.B.C
49 Basavanna Temple Kurraram Rajapeta 13th CE

Basavanna temple

Basavanna temple is located in Kuravaram village. This temple has been built on high Adistana with entrance from southern side. The grabhagriha is located on western side with antarala and pillared mandapa. In the centre of the shrine, a Sivalinga is enshrined. Infront of the temple i.e., on southern side a big Nandi (Basavanna) is placed on a pedestal. Hence this temple is known as Basavannagudi.

50 Sri Adi Varaha Lakshmi Narsimha and Venugopala Swamy Temple Burugadda Huzurnagar 13th CE

Sri Adi Varaha Lakshmi Narsimha and Venugopala Swamy Temple

Burugugadda village is a historical one having inscriptional evidence of Chalukya and Kakatiya kings. A stone inscription is located in the premises of Venugopala swamy temple which is datable to S' 1190 (1268 A.D) and belongs to Rudradevamaharajulu (Queen Rudramadevi).

The inscriptions states that while Sriman Mahamandaleswara Kakatiya Rudradeva Maharajulu were ruling the kingdom, Devakiputradasa, the younger brother of his pradani, Satram Bollamraju set up the temple of Chenna Gopinatha along with his two pirattis (wives) Sridevi and Bhudevi in the middle of the village Burugadda. This was done for the good of all the people and he also granted gifts for the anga and ranga bhogas etc. The temple consists of garbhagriha, antarala and closed mandapa with a pillared porch within stone prakara. A large Vishnu idol in the sayana posture (Anantha Padmanabha) measuring 24 feet in length is an important object of worship in this temple. This temple is datable to 13th Century A.D.

51 Sri Parvathi Bhimeswara Swamy Temple Huzurnagar Huzurnagar 13th CE

Sri Parvathi Bhimeswara swamy temple

Sri Parvathi Bheemeswaraswamy temple is located in Huzurnagar town. The temple consists of garbhagriha and antarala with opened pillared mandapa. This temple has been completely renovated without disturbing the garbhagriha.

52 Kanaka Durga Ammavari Temple Huzurnagar Huzurnagar 13th-14th C.A.D

Kanaka Durga Ammavari Temple

Kanakadurga Ammavari Temple is located in Huzurnagar town. Inside the garbhagriha, goddess Kanakadurga is worshipped. The temple has been completely renovated.

53 Shiva Temple Theretpalli Chanduru 13th-14th C.A.D

Shiva Temple

Four small temples dating back to Kakaitya times are located in Theretpalli village. These are all single shrine temples without much architectural work. In only one temple, Shivalinga is worshiped.

54 Sri Raja Rajeswari Devi Temple Gudiwada Kethepally 12th-13th C.A.D

Sri Raja Rajeswari Devi Temple

The temple consists of garbhagriha, arthamandapa and pillared mandapa which have central four pillars with rangasila and ten short pillars on kakshasana with entrance on southern side. In garbhagriha a Siva Linga, is enshrined. This is a typical example of temple with entrance on southern side along with a flight of steps, whereas the Linga in the shrine is located on Western side. Purnakumbha motifs are carved on either side door jambs of garbhagriha. A typical Kakatiya Nandi carved in black basalt is kept in the mandapa facing Siva Linga. In front of the temple i.e., on the southern side, there is a double storied mandapa. On stylistic grounds, this temple can be dated back to 12th - 13th Century AD.

55 Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple Palem Nakrekal 18th C.A.D

Sri Lakshmi Narasimha swamy temple

Sri Laxminarsimha swamy temple at Palem village consists of garbhagriha, antarala and pillared mandapa facing east. Infront of the temple there is a big gopuram. The temple and gopuram were reconstructed recently. From the architectural point of view the temple can be dated back to the late medieval period.

56 Sri Amaralingeswara Swamy Temple Amaravaram Huzurnagar 14 th- 15 th

Sri Amaralingeswara Swamy Temple

A late Kakatiya period Siva temple is located in Amararam village. The temple consists of garbhalaya and eight pillared mandapa facing east. Sivalinga is enshrined in the garbhalaya and a Nandi is kept in the mandapa facing Sivalinga.

57 Sri Fort Khilla (Rajakota) Rajapeta Rajapet
58 Fortifications Undrugonda Vemchimla

Fortifications

59 Sri Chaya Someswara Swamy Temple Panagallu Nalgonda 12 th-13 thCE

Sri Chaya Someswara swamy temple

Sri Chaya Someswaraswamy temple is a Trikutalaya having garbhagrihas and antaralas on northern, eastern and western sides with a common mandapa towards southern side. The shrines have super structures of stepped pyramidal type. Here, Chaya (shadow) falls on the Siva Linga enshrined in the western side shrine from dawn to dusk, hence it is called Chaya Someswara (Siva) Temple.

There are several shrines around the main temple. All these temples are located within a prakara wall with entrance on east. On the eastern side of the temple complex a Pushkarini (Tank) is located. On stylistic grounds, this temple can be dated back to 12th Century A.D.

60 Veeranarayana and Someswara Group of Temples Kolanupaka Alair 12 thCE

Veeranarayana and Someswara Group of Temples

Kolanupaka village is situated at distance of 7 kms. from Aler railway station (located 80 kms. from Secunderabad on Secunderabad - Vijayawada Railway line.

The village is known as Kollipaka in the inscriptions of 10th -13th Cent A.D. This was ruled successively by Rastrakutas, Chalukyas of Kalyani and Kakatiyas of Warangal.

During the 11th Cent. A.D, this village was a religious centre of Jaina faith and ranked as one among other Jaina centres like Ellora and Patancheruvu etc.

Literary evidences show that it was one of the great centres of Saiva religion and birthplace of Renukacharya. He was one of the great Vira Saiva Saints and believed to have born from the Svayambhu Linga at Kolanupaka and absorbed again into it after preaching Virasaivism for a long time.

Veeranarayana swamy temple: According to an inscription on the inner wall of the mukhamandapa, during the Western Chalukya period (C.V 29 Tarana, Chitra, Purnima, Adivara, lunar eclipse) (A.D. 1104, March 13, Sunday), Kumara Mahamandaleswara Jagaddeva, a subordinate of Tribhuvanamalla, offered gifts to the god Jagaddevanarayanadeva, consecrated by him for anga, ranga and bhogas. This is a large temple in Kolanupaka but devoid of architectural beauty. Infront of the temple, a monolithic Garuda pillar is erected.

Someswara Group of Temples: Literary evidences show that it was one of the great centres of Saiva religion and birthplace of Renukacharya. He was one of the great Vira Saiva Saints and believed to have born from the Svayambhu Linga at Kolanupaka and absorbed again into it after preaching Virasaivism for a longtime.

Someswara Group of Temples consists of Someswaara swamy temple, Sri Pratapa Rudra temple, Chakali and Mangali matham etc.