> Monuments> Monuments of Hyderabad

Monuments of Hyderabad

S.No Name of the Monument Village Mandal Period
1 Macca Masjid Charminar Charminar (Mandal) 17thCentury CE

Mecca Masjid

Macca Masjid is located in the old city of Hyderabad. The construction of Macca Masjid was started by Mohammad Qutub Shah (1611-26 CE) of Golconda in 1617 CE but was completed by Aurangzeb in 1693 CE. This is the principal mosque in Hyderabad with the typical representation of florid Qutb Shahi architecture. The main hall of the mosque measures 75 feet in height with five arch façade, 220 feet in width and 180 feet in length while fifteen arches support the roof of the main hall, five on each of the three sides. A wall rises on the fourth side to provide Mehrab. It accommodates more than ten thousand individuals to offer prayers.

The main structure of the mosque has two massive octagonal shaped minars made out of granite stones. The four sides of the roof of the main mosque and the ramparts are made of granite slabs. The mosque is held in great reverence across the Islamic world since it is believed that some of the bricks on an arch to its northern side were made of earth brought from Holy Mecca in Arabia.

2 Badshahi Ashur khana Pattargatti Charminar 16-17th CE

Badshahi Ashur Khana

Built by Mohammed Quli Qutb Shah, Badshahi Ashur Khana is not only one of the oldest monuments in Hyderabad and also among the oldest imambaras in India. During the rule of The Second Nizam of Hyderabad (1802 CE) timber colonnades in facade were added.

This building is famous for the enamel tiled mosaics in Persian style which are comparable to those in Lahore and Multan. The building displays a beautiful and intricate style of Islamic Calligraphy and Art. The other structures located in the premises are Naubath Khana, Niyaz Khana and Abdar Khana.

3 Old Gate of Dabirpura Dabirapur Charminar (Mandal) 18th CE

Old gate of Dabirpura

The Dabirpura Gate was built between 1724 - 1740 CE during the reign of Asaf Jahis. The gate has a pointed arch and is flanked by two bastions. The wooden door of the gateway still exists with both of its panels intact.

4 Musheerabad Mosque Musheerabad Secunderabad (Mandal) 17 th CE

Musheerabad Mosque

This mosque was built during 1626-1672 CE by the Qutb Shahi ruler, Abdullah Qutub Shah. The main entrance to this mosque has five pointed arches while the courtyard is flanked by three gateways at east, north and south.

The mosque is adorned with a lavish use of cut-plaster and beautifully ornamented-cornices. The prayer hall overlooks an enclosed courtyard with an imposing entrance on the eastern side is rectangular in shape. Its roof is supported by elephant trunk, like projecting brackets, which support sharp capitals set in lotus cups. The sarai around the mosque has a series of open and screened arches. The main eastern gateway has a beautiful parapet with four minarets, each decorated with a series of beaded mouldings.

5 Toli Masjid Karwan Golconda (Mandal) 17 th CE

Toli Masjid

Toli Masjid is located in one of the oldest (and historically significant) localities of Hyderabad, that is, Karwan. It was built by Musa Khan in the later part of Qutb Shahi period (1662-72 CE) during the reign of Abdullah Qutb Shah. He held the office of Mohalladar and also served as a general in times of war.

The mosque is located on a raised platform. It has a series of steps on the east, north and south. The prayer hall of the mosque is located to the west of the courtyard. The Masjid is decorated with beautiful stucco work. On the south east of the courtyard, there is a tomb of Musa Khan.

6 Gunfoundry Abids Road Nampally (Mandal) 18th CE

Gunfoundry

The Gunfoundry was built in the year 1795 CE during the Asaf Jahi period by a renowned French Engineer Monsieur Raymond who had established a cannon-manufacturing factory here.

Massive brick walls and cubicles which are supported by brick and mortar arches at ground level, and consists of brick kiln-like space underneath are what remain of the original foundry. This is the only surviving Gunfoundry established in the 18th Century CE, in the Nizam's State of Hyderabad.

The original brick walls of Gunfoundry were approximately 50 feet high with a tapered portion commencing above 25 feet. The binding material used is lime mortar while the wall surfaces were covered with lime mortar on the exterior and interior.

7 Khazana Building Golconda Golconda (Mandal) 17thCentury CE

Khazana Building

This building was the treasure house of the Qutb Shahis when Golconda fort was the capital of the Kingdom and hence named Khazana (meaning treasure) Building. The structure is single storied, while the courtyard and garden is connected to the main entrance. There are open halls on four sides and guardrooms at the main entrance. The central arch leads to the courtyard and the gardens.

In the year 1948 CE, after the Police Action against the Nizam, Indian Army was stationed there. During 1951-1952 CE, the Khazana Building was passed to the Department of Archaeology and Museums.

8 Shamsheer Kota Golconda Golconda (Mandal) 16thCentury CE

Shamsheer Kota

There are many historic monuments near Golconda fort of Hyderabad and one of them is Shamsheer Kotha monument which is located near Khazana Building on the main road from the Fateh Darwaza to Bala Hissar. There are series of rooms for storing arms and weapons and a masjid, constructed in Qutb Shahi style.

There is a large cannon on display at the entrance gate here that reflects the glory of historic era of Qutb Shahis who had ruled this region for nearly two centuries.

9 Qutb Shahi Tombs, Golconda Shaikpet Shaikpet (Mandal) 16th -17th CE

Qutb Shahi Tombs, Golconda

The Qutb Shahi Tombs are the final resting places of the the Qutb Shahi royal family members and other important figures of the court (example: Hakeems, the Royal Physician). Located near Golconda Fort, the complex contains single domes, mosques, fountains and basins of water in Indo-Islamic style that are truly marvellous and perhaps one of the largest tomb complexes in the world.

The rulers of the Qutb Shahi dynasty seem to have had an acute perception of the ephemeral nature of their palaces and monuments and therefore put their finest efforts into the building of their Mausoleums that they knew would outlast them by centuries. The height of the basements, the architectural pattern of the domes, decoration of the external walls, the tile work, the facade work and the stucco work vary from one tomb to the other. Apart from this, there are gardens and water channels meant for supplying water to the fountains.

The most of prominent of all is the tomb of Mohammad Quli Qutb Shah (1580 - 1612 CE), the founder of Hyderabad. The extensive and elaborated tomb was constructed in such a way that the eastern platform overlooked the city of Hyderabad, Charminar and Char Kaman.

10 Premamati's Mosque Mohammad Nagar Golconda 17th CE

Premamati's Mosque

The Premamati Mosque stands on a hillock overlooking the Taramati Baradari. The mosque was built around 1625 CE and it was attributed to Premamati a famed courtesan during the reign of Sultan Muhammad Qutb Shah and Sultan Abdullah Qutb Shah.

The mosque has a facade of five arches without any minarets. Bilgrami, in his book 'Landmarks of the Deccan', associated the Baradari and the mosque with both Taramati and Premamati. Tombs of both the courtesans are seen near the Qutb Shahi Tombs.

11 Hakim's Tomb Hakimpet (Toli Chowki) Shaikpet (Mandal) 17thCentury CE

Hakim’s Tomb

This tomb built over a hillock is locally known as 'Dargah Hakim Nizamuddin Geelani Quadri’ and is attributed to Hakim, a physician of the Qutb Shahi King. The tomb is square in shape with a huge dome in the centre, the ceiling of which is delicately carved. The tomb is a fine example of Qutb Shahi style of architecture.

12 Shaikpet Mosque and Sarai Shaikpet Shaikpet 16th Century CE

Shaikpet Mosque and Sarai

The Sarai was built on the way to Bidar, capital of Barid Shahis, for the traders to halt at night, before obtaining permission to enter into the fort from Quiladar of Golconda Fort.

The Sarai complex was initiated by Ibrahim Qutb Shah (1550 - 1580 CE). The Sarai gradually came to provide amenities like sarai blocks, mosques, a tomb, stables for horses and camels and other minor structures. It is a typical, large caravan Sarai constructed in Qutub Shahi style of architecture consisting of a two storied building exclusively meant for traveller’s rest.

An inscription indicates that a larger part of the Sarai complex was built by Abdullah Qutb Shah in 1633 - 34 CE. Shelter for horses and camels was also added to the Sarai towards southern side.

13 Mia Mishk's Mosque Puranapul Charminar (Mandal) 17 th Century CE

Mia Mishk’s Mosque

Situated in the old city of Hyderabad, Mia Muskh's mosque was built by Mian Mishk, the Abyssinian (The Ethiopian) a noble of Abul Hassan Tana Shah in 1676.

The mosque has a facade with three arches, and two big minars. The polygonal minarets are simple, while their balconies have rectangular openings with jaali panels fitted in them. Close to this Mosque, there is a mortuary chamber of Mia Mishk which has a verandah on its four sides.

14 Khairat Khan's Tomb Sultan Shahi Khairtabad (Mandal) 17thCentury CE

Khairat Khan’s Tomb

Khairat Khan was a Noble of King Abdullah Qutb Shah during 1627-72 CE. He was nominated as an Ambassador to Persia (Iran) not only for Golconda rulers but also for the Moghul Emperor, Shah Jahan.

Built with stone and lime mortar, the tomb has been constructed on a raised square platform with steps that lead to the building which is decorated with minarets in Qutb Shahi style of architecture. There are jaali panels decorating the external walls of the tomb.

15 Khairati Begum's Tomb & Mosque Khairtabad Khairtabad 17thCentury CE

Khairati Begum’s Tomb and Mosque

This iconic monument is located in Khairatabad locality, was built by Kairat-un-Nisa, the daughter of Sultan Mohammed Qutb Shah (1612-1626 CE), in remembrance of her teacher Akhund Mulla Abdul Malik.

Khairati Begum’s tomb is built on a square plan, and stands on a high plinth. The arches of tomb are decorated with lime plaster and floral medallions. The structure has a huge dome surrounded by four smaller minarets. The Mosque has a facade of three arches and two tall minarets which are decorated with an ornamental honeycomb pattern.

16 Mir Alam Tank Cairns Mir Alam tank Rajendranagar 10th C.B.C
17 Megalithic Burials Begumpet Begumpet 10th C.B.C
18 Sculptures at Tilak Road (Nandi image & elephant) Premises of Khadi Board Nampally 16th C.A.D.
19 Dargah Hazarat Syed Shah Raziuddin Gazibanda Bahadurpura 17th Century CE

Dargah Hazrat Syed Shah Raziuddin

The Qutb Shahi ruler, Abul Hassan Tana Shah, had built this magnificent tomb and grave in 1684 CE in the memory of his ‘Murshad’, Hazrat Syed Shah Raziuddin.

This tomb stands on a raised square platform which has Dargah Hazrat Syed Shah Raziuddin verandah on top, with bulbous dome constructed in typical Qutb Shahi style of architecture with octagonal stone columns at the base. The exterior walls of the tomb at the 1st floor are decorated with beautiful arches.

20 Armenian Cemetry Uppuguda Charminar 17thCentury CE

Armenian Cemetery

It is believed that the Armenians came to India as traders through the overland route, crossing Persia, Afghanistan and established their commercial centres in Hyderabad. They eventually came to serve under Qutb Shahis and the Nizams of Hyderabad.

The burial complex is enclosed within a compound wall, with an entrance towards the east. Under a four pillar structure are tombs that have epitaphs engraved on them. These epitaphs are arranged according to the Great Armenian Era dating system, the starting point of which is still a matter of debate.

The view followed is that the Armenians had adopted the Quinn centenary cycle of Areas they reckoned 562 -The date on which the latter calendar was devised the tenth year of their own cycle. Thus 552 became the first year of the Great Armenian Era.

21 Puranapul Ancient Gate Puranapul Charminar 17thCentury CE

Puranapul Ancient Gate

An ancient gateway is located south of Musi river, opposite to the Puranapul.

This massive gateway has niches in two layers. The door of the gateway is plain. The canopy portion has banded corbels.

22 Kulsum Begum Mosque Kulsumpura Asifnagar (Mandal) 17th Century CE

Kulsum Begum Mosque

Locally known as 'Badi Masjid’, this mosque is located on the north of the Karwan road linking Puranapul with Golconda and was built by Kulsum Begum, daughter of Sultan Mohammad Qutb Shah during his reign from 1612 - 1626 CE.

The mosque has been constructed on a raised square platform. Its beautiful minarets are a fine example of Qutb Shani style of architecture. The facade of the mosque is exuberantly decorated with stucco ornamentation. The main entrance is styled in the pillar and lintel style accompanied with heavy wooden doors. There is an inscription seen at the top of the gate reading 'Allah, Mohammed Ali, in Arabic script.

The arched gateway is flanked by two rooms, meant for guards, on either side. There is a fountain in the courtyard. The mosque complex consists of an elevated sarcophagus, a well (Hamaam), and several graves and is surrounded by a Caravan Sarai and main gate.

23 Old Idgah Madannapet Hyderabad 17th CE

Old Idgah

The Old Idgah is located in Madannapet of Saidabad area and was built by Sultan Mohammed Qutb Shah (1612-1626).

It is a structure, with three arches and two large minars wherein, each minar has a gallery of multi-cusped arches which starts at a level higher than the parapet wall of the Idgah. The front facade of the Idgah is decorated with Qutb Shahi arches. The chajja portion is decorated with a series of arched openings and minarets. It is built with granite stone and lime.

24 Dargah Hazrath Saidani-Maa-Saheba Boats club Secundrabad 19thCentury CE

Dargah Hazrath Saidani-Maa-Saheba

Saidani-Ma-Saheba was Abdul Haq Diler Jung’s mother. He was an influential and important figure during the Asaf Jahis’s reign.

The tomb is constructed on a raised square platform with a intricately engraved dome, flanked by ornamental minarets. The facade of this tomb has five arches with three of them placed in the centre and the other two on the either side of wall panel. The parapet wall is well designed in two tier style, floral designs are observed abundantly on the structure and small niches are also provided in the parapet wall. Conch shaped kalasa motifs are also observed on the tomb.

The ground floor and first floor display beautiful combination of Qutb Shahi, Asaf Jahi and European elements.

The most remarkable feature of the Tomb of Saidanima is that despite the profuse use of different intricate stucco decorations in embellishment the facade does not appear cluttered. From a distance, the monument gives the impression of a finely crafted piece of filigree and when viewed closely one is overwhelmed by the intricacy of patterns and excellence of craftsmanship evident in each decorated element.

25 Sir Ronald Ross Building Begumpet Secunderabad (Mandal) 19thCentury CE

Sir Ronald Ross Building

Major Ronald Ross, an Indian born British doctor was posted in Secunderabad as Duty Medical Officer for the Military. It was here he discovered the malarial parasite in the gastrointestinal tract of a mosquito in 1897 CE and proved that malaria was transmitted by mosquitoes, and laid the foundation for the method of combating the disease. He received the Nobel Prize for Physiology/Medicine in 1902 CE for his ground breaking work on the transmission of malaria.

26 British Residency Koti Womens College Koti Nampally 18thCentury CE

British Residency

The British Resident of Hyderabad state, James Achilles Kirkpatrick built this Residency during 1798 - 1805 CE. It was a famed building even among the officials of East India Company as it was for the first time that any Resident had claimed a land as big as this. However it was the residents of this building that held a greater attraction to the public, as James Achilles Kirkpatrick or Hindoo Stuart fell in love with and later married Khair- un Nissa a young noble woman of Hyderabad.

There were several quarters in the elaborate and expansive British Residency, including a zenana (women's quarters) where Khair- un Nissa lived with her daughter and mother.

The colonial styled building was later converted into OU College for Women in the year 1949 CE.

Register

27 Sri Chennakesava Swamy Temple Chandrayana Gutta Bandlaguda (Mandal) 18th Century CE

Sri Chennakesava Swamy Temple

This temple is built on the flat top of a hillock (nearly 50 to 60 feet tall) locally known as Chandrayana Gutta or Kesavagiri Gutta.

The idol of Chennakesava Swamy Murthy at this temple is carved on a boulder. The temple consists of garbhagriha and antarala, connected with 28 pillared mandapa which has entrances on both the south and north sides. On the door jambs of the garbhagriha, Vaishnavite dwarapalas i.e., Jaya and Vijaya are carved. On the lintel portion of antarala, the images of Sheshasai Vishnu, Sanka, Chakra and Vaishnavite marks are carved. Based on the architectural features, the temple is believed to have been built during 18th Century CE.

Sri Swayambhu Chennakesava Swamy temple is located 9 km from the Mahatma Gandhi bus station on the road leading to Srisailam.