Preservation and Conservation at Osmania University College for Women
Located in Koti, the former British Residency (site of Osmania University College for Women, Koti) is an important heritage monument built by James Achilles Kirkpatrick, a British Resident in Hyderabad (1798-1805).
Built in Palladian Georgian style, the Residency was once the embassy of the East India Company to the court of the Hyderabad Nizam and the residence of the British Resident. In 1949, the Osmania University College for Women, Koti (established in 1924) was shifted into this building.
Since the college was shifted here, it has glorious history in terms of academic performance of the students as well as the teaching personnel at national and International levels. Today, it is one of the most sought after women’s colleges in the state of Telangana.
The college has a large campus (42 acres) and the typical culture around contributed to the quality of education through diverse academic activities as part of curricula.
The premises and building in the college were declared a protected monument first in the list of Protected Monuments list of Hyderabad Urban Development Authority and then by the State government.
Under the collaborative initiative of Department of Heritage Telangana (Government of Telangana), World Monuments Fund New York, and Osmania University Hyderabad, a Conservation Management Plan has been prepared.
Under Phase 1 of the Plan, emergency repairs to the Durbar Hall Building are being executed. This includes structural consolidation of western part of Durbar Hall block, restoring the authentic facade of the western balcony taking, reconstruction of Madras Terrace Roof and wooden root, and making the Durbar Hall waterproof using conventional methods.