> Museum> District Museum Nizamabad
District Heritage, Archaeological Museum, Nizamabad
The District Archaeological museum in Nizamabad was established in Nizamabad’s Tilak Garden, which was originally constructed in 1936 by VIIth Nizam, Mir Osman Ali Khan. The District Archaeological Museum was officially opened to the public in October, 2001. It exhibits a wide variety of artefacts and antiquities that represents the evolution of human civilization right from Paleolithic era to Vijayanagara times (16th Century A.D.).
The District Archaeological museum in Nizamabad is broadly classified into three sections namely
- Archaeological section
- Sculptural gallery, and
- Bronze and decorative gallery
The Archaeological section mainly includes tools of Paleolithic, Neolithic as well as late stone age times, (Microlithic) from 50000 to 5000 B.C. and also the megalithic pottery and iron implements from 1000 B.C. to the 3rd century B.C. The museum displays early historic and cultural material of the Satavahana times such as pottery, Iron implements, bangle pieces, beads, terracotta and bricks dating back from 2nd Century BC to 2nd Century AD. The Coins housed in the Museum are of punch marked varieties (3rd - 4th Century BC to the British period). A hoard of Vijayanagara era’s Gold coins unearthed at Bodhan is displayed here.
The collection includes coins of Satavahana dynasty, Vishnukundins, Kakatiyas, Ikshvakus, Qutub Shahi dynasty, Vijayanagara, British period etc., along with a Quran Sharif of medieval period. A chart which shows the evolution of Telugu script from the 3rd century B.C. until 16th century A.D can also be seen here.
This gallery includes sculptures from different Dynasties such as Chalukya dynasty, Kakatiya dynasty, Rashtrakutas, and also the Vijayanagar kingdom (16th & 17th Century AD). The important sculptures here includes Jaina, Ganesha, Parsvanath, Veerabhadra, Chamundi, Secular, Hero Stones, Sculptures, a Sculptural Panel depicting Ganga, Yamuna, Saraswathi and Chennakesava,. A finely carved Door Jamb that was made of Red sand stone, from Vijayanagar dynasty is erected here in front of the Museum.
Bronze and Decorative gallery
The Bronze and Decorative section at the museum includes Bronze articles from different periods ranging from Chalukyas to Vijayanagara times. Decorative Arts constitute Bidiriware, porcelain and enamel ware. The important objects on display here are Arms and Armour, including swords of different types with gold inlay work, chest plates, shields, curved swords, arrows, daggers etc. from Qutb Shahi and Asif Jahi periods. The paintings on display are miniature paintings of medieval period and contemporary period.
Bidriware derives its name from the old town of Bidar. The bidri articles that are displayed here in the Museum are Huqqahas, Pandan, Spittons, Flower vases, Betel Nut Boxes etc. and other items. Most of these artefacts were brought from Hyderabad by the Department of Archaeology & Museum.
Arms & Weapons Section
Several armour varieties of ancient world are displayed here such as the Roman, Persian, Russian and Indian Armies of medieval period. These include Persian Indian swords, lances, spears, daggers, chest plates, suns and arrows with damascening ( with an inlay of gold work) workmanship, offensive weapons such as the lances, spears, the axes and heavy swords accompanying double edged flat blades. The weapons were reportedly used by the Nawabs of Golconda during the medieval period. Coins, Manuscripts such as the Holy Quran, Pre-history objects, Stone Sculptures of Early history, Modern Paintings and Miniature painting are also part of the impressive display in the Museum at Nizamabad.
How to Reach
The District Heritage, Archaeological Museum in Nizamabad is located in Tilak Garden, very near to the Bus stand and Railway Station. Nizamabad can be reached by road from Hyderabad, nearly 175 km away.
Tilak Garden, Nizamabad
Clean drinking water and rest rooms are available. Seating arrangements have been provided in the garden. A Companion Guide to the Museum is also available.
The Museum is open from
and closed on Fridays and Public Holidays