The Department of Heritage Telangana is a research oriented institute and the main objectives of the Department are conducting of explorations, excavations, acquiring of treasure troves, establishment and maintenance of museums, preservation of art objects, conservation of monuments and sites, village wise survey and collection of estampages of inscriptions and chemical treatment of monuments and museum antiquities.
The department is conducting village wise survey and exploration to identify new sites having archaeological and historical importance for conducting excavation and protection. The epigraphy branch of this department is also conducting survey of inscriptions for taking estampages and decipherment of inscriptions.
- Renovated Khazana Building Museum in Golkonda, Hyderabad and completed construction of new museum building at Pillamarri in Mahabubnagar district was completed.
- Construction of new museum building in Warangal is under progress.
- A Treasure Trove consisting of 24 Silver Coins of Asafjahi period from Chandupatla (V), Bhuvanagiri (M), Nalgonda District, is received and preserved in the State Museum Hyderabad.
- Interpretation centre (explaining the museum antiquities and galleries was established in the State Museum, Hyderabad.
2. Conservation of the monuments
- During conservation and scientific clearance an early Historic Site of Keesaragutta, a protected monument, 13 Jaina Bronzes, datable to 8th Cent.AD are discovered. These bronze idols are displayed in the Heritage museum, Gunfoundry , Hyderabad.
- During the scientific clearance at Phanigiri, an early Historic Buddhist Site, a relic casket containing gold and silver flowers, silver beads etc. datable to 3rd Cent.AD are discovered. This valuable objects are preserved in the Heritage museum, Gunfoundry, Hyderabad.
- The department has taken up Conservation / Restoration to the 87 number of Monuments such as Buddhist and Jain monuments, temples, forts, Islamic monuments and colonial buildings etc. and modernization / Re-organization of Museums with the 13th Finance Commission Grants.
- Conservation/ restoration and landscaping works of entire Qutb Shashi complex have been taken up through M/s. Aga Khan Trust for Culture, New Delhi, with their own funds.
- After formation of Telangana State the Department has brought out two important publications on:
- Protected Monuments and Sites in Telangana State
- Rock Art Sites in Telangana in collaboration with Tourism Department.
- Official launch of Departmental Website.
- Department celebrating regularly the Heritage week, World Heritage day Museum week, Tourism week etc by conducting competitions, seminars, Heritage walk in collaboration with Tourism department.
- Publication of Inscriptions of Nizamabad district under the series of District inscriptions.
- Opening of new district museum building at Pillamarri in Mahabubnagar district after completion of the display works.
- Organization of Numismatics gallery in the State Museum Hyderabad.
- Organization of Arms and weapons gallery in the State Museum Hyderabad.
- Reorganization of existing galleries in Hyderabad
- Bringing out of a publication/ coffee table book on Numismatics collection of State Museum
- Proposed to conduct exploration of Sites of Archaeological Importance in the whole State with the help of Universities/colleges. Adilabad District is selected as a pilot project.
- Submitted Proposals for Conservation of Monuments under 14th Finance Commission Grants.
- Proposed for amendment of “ANDHRA PRADESH ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL, MONUMENTS AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES AND REMAINS ACT 1960” and T.T Rules